HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"(Mike Polk)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 00:24:01 -0500

<< Hi all:

 As one who was "trapped in Cincinnatti" I feared even trying to get to the
 conference this year. My sympathies to those who got stuck.  When will this
 become frustrating enough for a change of conference dates??

 Jane Cox
 Lost Towns Project
 Londontown, MD >>

I understand the frustration.  However, there is a definite downside to
changing dates that everyone should recognize.  The first full week in
January is, almost everywhere in the United States, the slowest time of the
year for hotels.  We get phenomenal rates in great places in large part
because of this.  We also get good leverage for conference rooms and other
amenities.  Hotels know that this is a lousy week for them and are willing to
deal to get a conference like SHA.  We have a tremendous advantage because of
it.  I know that we got a great deal in Salt Lake City (1999 meetings)
because of that very situation.

Mike Polk
Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C.
Ogden, Utah