HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Paul Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 16:30:00 -0400
I agree with much of what Dan Mouer said. The cry for ceramic standardisation
is a fairly universal one. However, there are numerous problems both
methodological and theoretical. Given a large pile of body sherds to separate
into say creamware and pearlware I'm sure very few ceramacists would agree on
every sherd. I'd also like to see the results compared with a chemical
analysis. I've looked at many sherd asssmblages analysed by others and often
totally disagreed on their division of fabrics and just on the grounds of
'lumping' and 'splitting'. At a recent conference in Cologne much heart
wrenching went on about defining proto- and full-stonewares. Well I think
this was a waste of time because though one could come up with firm
scientific criteria you can't spend large sums of money analysing every
sherd. In any case were these criteria relevant to the people who made and
used the pots. There is also no ideal way of quantifying pots. Sherds counts,
weighing, EVE's and minimum vessels all have their problems. Its always best
to use a range. For example, you can use rims to calculate EVE' s or minimum
vessels but it is possible that broken rims were more likely to be picked up
and moved off site. I have certainly noted considerable differences between
EVE's based on bases and rims which suggests differential movement of broken
pots. The other danger with standardisation if it is taken too far is that
you risk the danger of fossilising the development of the subject. This is
not to say we should not attempt to encourage intra-site comparability but
standardisation is not some Holy Grail.
Paul Courtney, Leicester, England