HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"L. D Mouer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 13:18:26 EDT
Chuck,

I haven't read Ehrenbaum's piece yet--though I did see this article in
the Chronicle. I know some other writings of hers though, as she is a
fairly active voice in what has become known as the "science wars."
I've been following much of what has been going on in this raucous
discourse through the Chronicle, and also through some great WWW
sites. The funniest chapter in recent events was the physicist Allan
Sokal's parodically "post-modern" article in Social Text--a decidedly
PM journal which published it as a serious piece. The upraor has been
hilarious.

Less funny, though, are the implications. We still have people
shouting dogmatically and hyperbolically at each other instead of
conversing. Once again the hard-core science types see any attempt at
skepticical inquiry as some sort of threat to the Enlightened and
Rational foundations of western Civilization. And, also true to form,
the hard-core pomos--most of them with degrees in literature and
ignorant entirely of science--are writing some of the most tired,
self-serving, pea-soup nonsense prose imaginable about stuff they not
nothing of. Who'd a thunk when we all first learned from Thomas Kuhn
about paradigm clashes that it could become a spectator sport?

Dan Mouer
http://www.freedomnet.com/~dmouer/homepage.htm