HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"John P. McCarthy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 07:38:15 -0700
> What about the Philadelphia Free Baptist Church?  That may be in the same
> time period.  I can't remember.  Reference is Angel et al, 1987, AJPA
> 74:213-229.  Rankin-Hill has an unpublished ms as well about the same
> site.

There is, in fact, an extensive bibliography reporting various aspects
of the results of the excavation of two cemeteries used by the First
African Baptist Church of Philadelphia in the first half of the 19th C.
The c. 1823-42 cemetery near 8th and Vince Streets was excavated under
Mike Parrington's direction in 1983-84, and the c. 1810-22 cemetery at
10th and Vine Streets was excavated under my direction in 1990.

Rankin-Hill's ms. on the physical anthropology of the later cemetery
(i.e. 8th St.) was recently published. Burial practices and social
identity at the two cemeteries are discussed in my forthcoming article
in the 1993 Winterthur Conference Proceedings (I've seen proofs, so it
should not be too much longer!). I will be happy to provide additional
references off-list.

John

John P. McCarthy, SOPA
Vice President, Sr. Archaeologist/Historian
IMA Consulting, Inc.
Minneapolis