HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 13:05:11 -0500
From:
Michael LaRonge <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
     I have been following the line of thought on the location of
unmarked graves and I have afew questions.  I have recently found a
historic grave, probably a family cemetary, marked with a single stone
indicating only the families name no dates.  Dowsing aside I am
wondering if probing with a core sampler within the first 10cm would be
a inexpensive alternative to ground penetrating radar.  This also ties
into my next question, we have reason to believe it is European infants
grave.  I am aware that it was common practice in early European
settlment to bury especially young children near the family home, but
does that mean that the hard and fast rule of six feet under might not
necessarily apply and therfore make probing detremental to site
integrety?  I would appreciate any information on burials I can get, but
more specifically infant burials.
                                   Thanks Michael LaRonge