HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Early American Museum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:57:21 -0600
I'm trying to find the up-to-date and common name for a compound which was
called "Carbonate of Iron" around the turn of this century.  Chemical
reference books at the local library refer to iron carbonate as a less
common, after iron oxides, iron ore so it may be that carbonate of iron is a
fairly frequently occurring mineral.  I have encountered it in a c. 1900
blacksmith's document as an ingredient in welding flux which leads me to
believe it is/was not terribly exotic.  Any help will be appreciated.

Charles M. Keller
Collections Manager