HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"James L. Murphy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 15:01:00 -0500
This is something I should have observed already myself, but the question
has just come up:

In 19th C. U.S. cemeteries, is there a consistent pattern as to which
direction the side of the footstone with initals faces-- toward or away from
the headstone?

The only examples I have seen since the question arose face toward the
headstone.

Put another way, if I have only an initialled footstone, with no evidence
remaining of the headstone, which side is the burial most likely to be on?

Sorry if this is an elementary question.

Jim Murphy