HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Michael Trinkley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:15:38 -0500
I'm sure that my colleagues are correct and that there are differences
between "kaolin" and "ball clay." I'm not so sure that those differences are
readily apparant, without chemical study.

And, I agree that terminology is important, since the technical terms provide
a readily available short-hand essential for clear, consistent communication.
Of course, we may recall that language is alive and constantly changing. What
is inaccurate today, may gradually be accepted as accurate.

But neither is _really_ the issue.

What is the issue, it seems, is how we go about dealing with others. The
issue is simple etiquette and being reasonable, pleasant, human beings. For
example, I wonder if it wouldn't have been just as effective to say something
like, "Well, John (or whatever), this is a good question. Yes, I know of
several New England pipe collections and will be happy to share their
location. As an aside, many may not realize that there is, in fact, a
difference between kaolin, which is hardly ever used in pipe manufacture, and
ball clay, which looks pretty much the same. This is another example of how
our terminology has gotten a little slack. Nevertheless, contact me and I'll
be happy to share . . . "

This type of response encourages colleagues to ask questions, since they
realize that honest questions will be met with respect and help -- not abuse
and correction. And this, it seems, is more important (at least initially) in
a dialog than using the correct terms.

Best wishes,

Michael Trinkley
Chicora Foundation, Inc.