From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 May 1997 10:07:37 +0000
Charles Hatton wrote:

> One of our hives has a space between the two supers and the bees are using the space and the normal entrance to fly in and out.  Is this a problem?  Should we seal the space?

I find that bees love to use entrances above the bottom board.  I
personally drill a 3/4" hole in all my brood chambers (but not supers)
and they are very popular with the inhabitants.  Also, many brood
chambers will develop separations of one sort or the other with time,
and bees will use these for entrances.  The only time to be concerned is
in a nectar scarcity, when robbing might occur.  Then the openings
should be closed off.  I always carry a roll of duct tape in my toolbox
for this purpose.

If you really mean that the openings are between supers (as opposed to
brood chambers), then I would close those off because of the tendency to
bring in pollen, which always makes a problem in the honey supers.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA