From:
Joe Trattle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 16:53:25 -0500
Braula coeca is a wingless fly that is very common in colonies here in the
UK. It rides on the backs of workers and especially the queen who often
carries 5 or 6
of them. They are reddy brown in colour and about the size of a pin head .
They
do no harm to the bees, existing by steeling food as it is passed between
bees.
Their eggs are laid in the cappings of honey and the lava produce thread
like
tunnels across the face of the comb, which can be a problem if your trying
produce comb honey.
We are still in the grips of winter here in the UK so there would be little
chance of
filming for a month or two.

Regards
Joe Trattle