Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 20:43:05 +0100
Mike Pheysey wrote:

> can you run a National on 12 frames?  I also notice that 11 thicker frames
> also come exactly to 16 1/2", surely not a coincidence!!!
>
> Where does the dummy board fit into all this, Thorne's sell a 1/2" thick

Hi Mike,

You can run your National on 12 frames.  The more frames you can get
into the brood chamber the more room you will have for brood giving you
more bees and hopefully more honey.  If you can slide them in and out
easily enough then go for max frames.  The only time that this does not
apply is at the end of the season when I find it is best to remove one
frame to give a ventilation space at the front and back of the hive (I
have my frames running parallel to the entrance).  If the 12 frames are
too tight then you will have to use 11 and fill the space with dummy
board(s).  Some people advocate using dummy boards for extra insulation.
In this case the dummies should be made from something like polystyrene
and covered with thin ply (the bees will eat the polystyrene).

National hives should be 18 1/8" square.  The internal measurements
depends on the thickness of the wood.  Some old hives were made of 1"
thick wood (sometimes even thicker) thus reducing the internal
measurements.

Harry
Scotland.