From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 10:43:16 -0500
On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Angus Stokes wrote:

> In the UK we have similar problems. Here the problem arises from
> hybridisation of imported bees with native Apis mellifera
> mellifera ( Dark European bee).  Both the native and imported sub
> species may be gentle but the mongrels which result from random
> matings cause endless trouble.  Nobody learns from the lessons.
<snip>
> The whole of the UK will continue to suffer from these reckless
> acts of importation and hybridisation.
<snip>
> In Ireland where monostrained areas of native bees have been
> established, importation is banned, the bees can be handled
> without veil in short sleeves.  This has been achieved in only four
> years.

I beg to differ.
The Buckfast HYBRID is a wonderfull example of the direct opposite of your
premise.  They are resistant to tracheal mites, and VERY gentle, as I have
routinely worked them with no veil or gloves, wearing just short pants and
a T-shirt. They are worlds apart in gentleness from my Italian bees.
Brother Adam wasn't praticing "reckless acts of importation and
hybridization" when he made the Buckfast Bee. He was making vast
improvements.
Maybe I'm missing something here though...
                     @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                    @         Ian Watson          @
                 @  THREE BEES:                      @
                @     Bach singer           ,///      @