From:
baxter YAZBEK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 09:27:50 +-200
On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, David Eyre wrote:

> Seems logical, as there seems more chalk brood in the early spring.
> I have two questions:-
>         1 Is there any correlation between damp hives and chalkbrood. I find on
> adding ventilation it (chalk brood) is reduced or eliminated.
>         2 Why do we requeen, when it has been proved that it is not genetic.
> Comments?

dear david,
in lebanon (middle east) we have hot and humid summers, brood chills i believe are not a problem for us yet during high humidity summers, we do have outbreaks of chalkbrood
this was the case 2 and 3 years ago
the only effective means of controlling the spores was better ventilation and more direct sunlight i.e. less humidity in the beehive
one thing was putting a stone to higher the hive cover and permit better air circulation in and out of the hive.
as for requeening, i think its mostly because the lifespan of the queen is reduced because of chemical treatemnet of varroatoses

Baxter Yazbek (Agr. Eng)
beirut Lebanon
Founding member of the Lebanese Beekeepers syndicate