From:
Michael Reddell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 21:43:21 -0800
RnC Bergendahl wrote:

> Michael Reddell wrote:
> >
> > Joel Govostes wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry all, I posted to the previous message to the entire list by accident.
> >
> > I for one like to see the answers to these kinds of questions on the
> > list.  I know the traffic tends to be a little heavy but it's
> > frustrating when someone asks a good question and the answer goes off
> > line.  For example, I recently started a thread about working with kids
> > in beekeeping.  Most of the responses I have received have been personal
> > notes.  Some subscribers are not interested in this subject, but some
> > are, based on the private response I've gotten.  Most of you don't know
> > about the wide assortment of people on the list who are or have been
> > involved in youth beekeeping projects because you didn't see the
> > beekeeping programs in Slovenia, 'home of the Yugo bee'.
> >
> > I don't advocate cluttering the list with personal conversations, but I
> > do think we should all consider whether there might be general interest
> > in a response before sending it to only one person.
> >
> > I routinely delete without reading the threads that don't interest me,
> > and I prefer this to not seeing answers to the ones I am interested in
> > because someone is overly concerned about burdening the list.

> Please don't encourage needless chit chat. Not all of us have have much
> time on our hands as you do. Ragnar Bergendahl

My second paragraph addresses "needless chit chat."  I am as busy as
anyone and don't read anywhere near everything on the list as it is. But
I was responding to a good answer to a good question.  All I meant by
this is that if someone has an item of interest to a significant number
of people, they should share it without apology.  I think a lot of what
is on the list is marginally useful, sometimes repetitive and often on
subjects that are interesting to others but not to me.  But I would
rather scan the subject lines and pick my topics than have someone else
decide if I'm interested or not.  If you disagree, maybe you should
switch to the 'Best of...' list.

I'm putting this on the list even though responding to a privately sent
note because I think this needs to be aired.  If you have a response
that would be useful to others besides the person who asked the
question, share it.  If not, then by all means don't!
Probably the best response to this post would be not to dash off a note
agreeing or disagreeing, but to carefully evaluate whether or not to
post to the list or email an individual next time you have something to
say.

Michael Reddell
http://www.hotcity.com/~mwr