From:
Kirk Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 21:32:15 -0400
As reported by Dave, AKA Pollinator, central Florida has been quite hot and
dry, with a good freeze earlier, which all probably contributed to a short
orange flow.

I have found a few open gallberry flowers, which I understand will be
early. I also noticed a palmetto in a hot spot with a couple of open
blossoms. We are going to have to feed as they are getting quite light and
we are getting some anxiety waiting for gallberry, etc. to develop into a
flow.

Most of our singles have a division board for feeding, as our feeder pails
are back in Michigan. We are thinking of removing a side comb and placing a
plastic bag in the slot, replacing the empty comb and filling with syrup.
If anyone out there has done this and can report what brand and size bag
would work well, please e-mail us back.

The take on queen cells was quite good, IMO, with over 83% acceptance on
the first set. At about 18 days we made our checkbacks and placed cells in
the "no-takes". Acceptance the second time around was better.

Back in northern Michigan the guys are waiting for the snowpack to recede.
Some yards will be accessible along Lake Michigan, about 3 miles back from
the lake.

About the 25th of April the bees should be on the way to the orchards!

*Kirk Jones/ Sleeping Bear Apiaries /971 S. Pioneer Rd./Beulah,MI 49617
*Sharon Jones/ BeeDazzled Candleworks /6289 River Rd./ Benzonia, MI 49616
                        e-mail   [log in to unmask]