HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"L. D Mouer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 00:10:44 -0400
Natalie,

I excavated indentured servant's quarters at two sites, both of which were
parts of a single community known as Jordan's Journey, in Virginia. The
community existed from ca. 1620-1635. One site, 44PG302 (The Jordan-Farrar
Site) was the compound of the land owner and "head of the hundred." This
compound included seven houses. One of these was the owner's house.
Another was probably the house of another gentlemen who became head of the
hundred after the death of the first...he had taken refuge here after a
major Indian uprising. Two were almost certainly African slave's houses,
and the remaining three were of indentured servants. The home of the
owner included several outbuildings, an animal pen, an external bread
oven, and a separate building that included a storage cellar (possibly a
bakehouse and brewery). The future owner's house was identical to the
owners, without the outbuildings and animal pen, except it included a
storage cellar within the main house. The indentured servants' houses were
the same size and shape as those of the bigwigs, but had no cellars or
other amenities.

The second site was a tenant's compound. It included the tenant's house
and a servant's quarter. They were indistinguishable.

In both cases, the buildings were close enough, and trash disposal spots
were shared among buildings, so the separation of material culture is a
dicey proposition at best.

Hope this helps some.

Dan Mouer
Virginia Commonwealth University