HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Andersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 00:22:13 -0500
On Tue, 18 Mar 1997 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> In a message dated 97-03-18 00:48:06 EST, [log in to unmask] (Chris Andersen)
> writes:
>
> << Cemetarians are the people who own and operate, and are responsible for
>  the maintenance of, commercial cemeteries.
>
>  Chris J.-Andersen ([log in to unmask]) >>
>
> If that is true, I presume that "cemeterians" can also be called "sextons" or
> do sextons only deal with public cemeteries, eg. hired by a city?  This issue
> is considerably confusing to me and it would be good to get some
> clarification.  I am truly interested in knowing if there is a formal
> profession called "cemeterian" and what they do or if it is some bogus name
> applied to a self appointed expert.
>
> Mike Polk

A sexton is an official of the church whose many responsibilities include
the care and management of the church's graveyard.  A cemetarian is one
who owns/operates a commercial cemetery or who is responsible for the
management of a municipal cemetery (at least, that's the best short
definition I can come up with on short notice).  Cemeterians are primarily
businessmen/managers and, yes, theirs is a formal profession; at least to
the extent that, in Ontario, there is a Cemeterians Association.

I hope that this helps.

Chris J.-Andersen ([log in to unmask])

DISCLAIMER:  The opinions expressed here are strictly those of the author
             and not those of his employer!