HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Peter Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 1996 22:39:00 +0930
On 14.5.96, Chris Andersen wrote:

>On behalf of a friend on another discussion list:
>
>Can anyone provide any information on the introduction and use of
>corrugated metal panels as building/roofing materials?

Chris, there is a fair bit of information on the subject, but I'm not sure
about the terminology you're using, and the scope of your interest.  Do you
mean corrugated galvanised iron sheets used as roof and wall cladding from
the 1840s on?  And are you interested in Canadian references specifically,
or world-wide?  Reply to me off-line if you like.

In any case, a good reference to start with is Gilbert Herbert, Pioneers of
Prefabrication, Johns Hopkins UP,  Baltimore 1978, ISBN 0 8018 1852 4,
especially chapter 3: "Corrugated Iron and Prefabrication".

Peter Bell

Dr Peter Bell, Historical Research Pty Ltd
PO Box 3044, Rundle Mall  5000,  AUSTRALIA
Phone:  (08) 338 2460; Fax:  (+618) 338 2460
Mobile/Cellular:  (+61) 015 793 652
e-mail: [log in to unmask]