From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 15:56:47 -0500

> My question is this.  I plan to split both of my hives this year to head
> off swarming and to increase my number of hives from two to four.  I know
> this is a VERY regional thing with times varying widely based on climate,
> but I would appreciate some tips from you on how to proceed, what to look
> for, and any horrifying/great success stories you may have.  I plan to
> review "The_Hive_and_the_Honeybee" for more tip/procedures, and would
> also appreciate more reading suggestions.

I am sure that you will get plenty of reading to do "from the list" on
this one. While I agree with splitting hives to make increase, I question
"to head off swarming"
        I am always watching my hives for the dreaded swarming habits, but never
see it happen. Looking back through my records I have only had one hive
close to swarming (we stopped that one) in the last 8 years. We have had
lots of discussion on the Bee-L in the last couple of years on this
problem, and there are so many factors involved, but I don't think I agree with
splitting a hive to prevent the possiblity of swarming.
        My view, keep young queens, no congestion, ventilation and take off full
supers when capped, works for us!!
                Regards Dave.......

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Agents for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks