From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 16:50:10 -0600
David Eyre wrote:

> On 27 Mar 97 at 19:39, bartlett wrote: No lost bees
>
> > For you people that say you had a good overwintering with your bees,
> > how about coming back and telling the rest of us what you did that
> > worked for you to get your bees through the winter.  Let's see if we
> > can find some common threads.
>
> For me the answer is fairly simple! Since I introduced ventilation to our
> hives we haven't lost one in the winter. I believe in the old adage 'bees
> don't freeze to death, dampness and starvation are the killers'. In 1883
> Langstroth and Doolittle were discussing the merits of winter ventilation,
> so it's not a new idea.
>          For those who who want a dissertation on ventilation, I would suggest a
> visit to our Home Page!
>         Other areas we concentrate on. Fall feeding, don't be cheap, syrup is
> cheaper than replacement.
>         We re-queen every two years, regardless. Unless it's a breeder queen of
> distinction.
>         Wrap only with black tar paper. The use of plastic of any sort is
> strictly 'Taboo', as it prevents the hive from breathing.

I would echo what David said. Hive ventilation for winter is as important if not more
important than summer. Everybody has their own "special" venting trick but as long as
the moisture is getting out of the hive you will be doing your bees a great favor.

I made sure all my hives had full stores upstairs by the end of fall. Around here I have
never had to supplement with syrup in the fall. We have a good long flow from the 1st of
Sept. on and the bees do a good job of filling up the stores. I make sure the store
house is full going into winter.

I treat for Varroa in the fall too and that is it for the year. These are my two goals for
seeing my bees alive in the spring. All kinds of other issues factor in to the equasion
but assuming those things are in check, they ought to be there for you in the spring.

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey
West Chicago, Illinois  USA