HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 06:31:44 -0800
To both Anthony and Trish,

The list to ask about these topics is SPANBORD, the history and archaeology
of the Spanish Borderlands, 1521-1900. May I post your queries to that list?

Anthony, are you sure that the crucifixes are copper and not brass? The
Franciscans (among others) shipped large quanities of these crucifixes to
the frontier (including California). Here at the San Diego Presidio
project, we have found several, and there are many other references as well.

Trish, what time period are you looking for?

At 09:55 PM 2/10/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Greetings Histarchers!
>
>I am seeking any and all published/unpublished references addressing small
>(4cm x 2cm x .5cm thick), copper crucifixes introduced by Spanish
>missionaries and/or colonists to California in the mid-late Eighteenth and
>early Nineteenth Centuries.  Two such artifacts were recovered during
>recent excavations at an important Chumash community on the Northern
>Channel Islands.  One of the crucifixes exhibits an image of Christ on a
>cross on one side, and an image of a Saint on the other.  If anyone is
>aware of any sources of information about such crucifixes, or on crucifixes
>in general, I would be much obliged if you could send me the reference!
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Feel free to send info off-list to my personal e-mail address.
>
>-Anthony
>

>Anthony P. Graesch
>Graduate Student
>----------------------------
>Department of Anthropology, UCLA
>405 Hilgard Ave, Box 951553
>Los Angeles, CA 90095-1553; AJ53
>E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>(310)794-5871 (Office)
>(310)209-2469 (Home)

Anita Cohen-Williams
Listowner of HISTARCH, SUB-ARCH, SPANBORD
Contributing Editor, Anthropology page, http://www.suite101.com
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/cohwill/index.html