HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 23:09:19 +0200
John W. Dougherty schrieb:
> Soil description at what level of detail?  Any serious soil scientist is
>  going to
> want to give a good taxonomic description of a soil.  Usually that level of
> classification is beyond what an archaeologist will require - at least with
> typical funding.  You can generally give a fair description of the fines -
>  clay,
> clay loam, sandy clay, sandy loam etc. using your feel technique.

yeah, but there just tends to be too much difference between what different
people will get - and even what the same digger will get on different occasions
- just downright too subjective (ever tried a blind test? take about 20
bags full, do your descriptions, come back a few days later and do it again,
then compare results... could be quite humbling!)

  Books such
>  as
> Michael Waters' "Principles of Geoarchaeology" can help with recognizing
> diagnostic horizons other soil phenomena.  Who could I contact about the
>  Museum of
> London flow chart?

[log in to unmask] - they have an excellent site manual for #14 (plus postage):
mention my name (i've been sending a lot of business their way of late) and
maybe they'll send along some copies of their 5 (or is it
6?) different, colour-coded context sheets (for wood, coffins, skeletons, etc.)
- will see if i can maybe e-mail you a copy tomorrow

lazy bastard finally set up a website:
http://home.t-online.de/home/gcarver/
geoff carver