HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tim Anson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:40:37 +1030
Dear everyone,

I am endeavouring to undertake an archaeological investigation of what can
only be described as 'dugout dwellings'.  The domestic dwellings were
constructed by miners in the middle of the last century in order to avoid
paying rent for Company accommodation.  The dugouts (now mostly collapsed)
lined the river bank of the main river that ran through the town.  The
river bank is about 4 - 5 metres (approx. 15 - 20 feet) high, with a slope
of  about 45 degrees.  The series of collapsed dugouts (12 in a row) now
exist as a series of depressions in the riverbank.

From my preliminary investigations it would seem that other studies of this
nature are somewhat rare.  There are reports of two other historical
colonial mining towns in South Australia that have similar features.  Are
these features unique to South Australia?

I would appreciate any help in locating similar studies either published or
unpublished and am particularly interested in the question of status,
dugout construction and excavation techniques.

Thanks in advance for you help

Tim Anson

Timothy J. Anson
Associate Lecturer in Archaeology