HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"(Mike Polk)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:50:11 -0400
In a message dated 97-07-18 10:30:51 EDT, [log in to unmask] (James P.
Harcourt) writes:

<< Let us not forget more basic technologies such as the photograph.
 The photographic record of more and more sites is being made with
 color print film and supercenter processing.  Back when I walked five
 miles barefoot to school (up hill both ways), slides were taken for
 presentation, but the bulk of the documentation was archivally
 processed black and white photographs (often with redundant
 curation or spatial separation of prints from their negatives).

You know what is particularly ironic and humorous about this situation?
 Kodachrome SLIDES are perhaps the most archivally stable color medium being
used to any great extent in our field today.  Because black-and-white is
going away so quickly (I have a horrible time getting anything close to
adequate archival black-and-white processing done locally - I have even had
the horrible experience of going in to pick up my large format HABS/HAER
negatives at what I thought was a reputable developer and finding metal clamp
marks in the emulsion!) and archivally stable color is still not reality,
Kodachrome (not Ectachrome) slides are really one of the only choices.

Mike Polk
Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C.
Ogden, Utah