HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karlis Karklins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 15:57:11 EST
     Research on the geographical distribution of man-in-the-moon beads
     continues.  These are distinctive tabular beads of transparent royal
     blue glass which exhibit a white design of stars and a cresent moon
     with a face on it. Michele and I would like to know if they have been
     uncovered outside of NY, PA, MI, WI, MN, IL and AL, especially in
     Ontario, southern Michigan, Indiana and Ohio, as well as the Southeast
     outside of Old Mobile. Information concerning the distribution of
     these beads, in different colors, in Europe would also be very
     welcome.  We know they have been found in France on old amulet
     necklaces.  Anything from archaeological contexts?

     For the Europeans and folklorists among you, I am also trying to track
     down the origin of the "man-in-the-moon" as well as any information
     about its significance, especially as a political device.   Seems it
     came in during the Middle Ages but I could use some references to
     books that deal with this subject in detail. Many thanks for your
     input.

     Karlis Karklins