HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lester Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 14:48:47 -0800
Homer Thiel wrote:

> I'm analyzing some bone artifacts. Among them are a number of combs. Two quest
io
> ns. 1). Any one have a reference for how bone combs were manufactured? and 2).
> an bone combs be made from ivory and if so, how would one tell bone and ivory
ap
> art?
>
> Actually, that makes three questions!
>
> Homer Thiel
> Tucson, AZ

For what it's worth, I have a very brief discussion about combs imported
by the Hudson's Bay Company to Fort Vancouver:
   Combs -- Hair combs, exclusive of ornamental combs . . . were
imported in three styles -- "Large" and "Small Cramber Horn Cobs;"
"Small Ivory Dardriff" [Dandruff] "Combs;" and "Horn Dressing Combs."
   The term "Cramber" may refer to a manufacturer, but the only known
HBC supplier for the Columbia Deapartment was NATHANIAL BOWERS & SONS.
   The materials used for the above combs consisted of horn (usually
stag, ox, or buffalo) and ivory (usually elephant tusk).  Comb blanks
were cut, polished, and the teeth cut by machine.  Usually these combs
lacked ornamentation, as they were more functional than decorative.
(Ross 1976:185).

Ross, Lester A.
1976  Fort Vancouver, 1829-1860: A Historical Archeological
Investigation of the Goods Imported and Manufactured by the Hudson's Bay
Company.  Ms., Fort Vancouver National Historic Site, National Park
Service, Vancouver, Washington.

Can't remember the specific historical works I used for this
information, but they probably were one of the many encyclopaedic works
in early to mid 19th-century English industries.  One I know for sure
was:
Rees, Abraham
1802-1820  The Cyclopaedia; or Universal Dictionary of Arts, Science and
Literature.  45 volumes.  Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, & Brown, London.

He had a two-page discussion of comb-making, along with various
illustrations.  Hope this is of some help.  LAR