HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeff Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 23:00:41 GMT
Bill Frazer I read with interest your previous posting.  In my earlier
posting I deliberately used the terms post-Medieval and Industrial
archaeology as I wished to differentiate between the historical
site/artefact specific narrative accounts which still largely dominates the
subjects in Britain, and the more theoretical/contextual approach adopted by
many Historical Archaeologists in other parts of the world.

In Britain a significant proportion of the leading practitioners in the
subject, were originally trained in other disciplines (history, geography,
economic history etc.,). The involvement in archaeology could be interpreted
as stemming from a curiosity factor, in terms of wishing to add physical
evidence to their own document centred research.  As a result of this
archaeology has been largely used in the UK as a tool to 'flesh out the
bones' of the historical framework.  This could also account for the
concentration of research dealing with sections of society for which ample
documentary evidence exists and survives.  The major strength of archaeology
in studying historic periods is that it provides the information necessary
to learn about the vast majority of the population for which only the most
basic of records survive (if any).

Unfortunately, the continued marginalisation of the subject is clearly
illustrated by the situation at Sheffield University. Bill Frazer mentions
two courses that are starting up, yet seems to be unaware of the MA in
Historical Archaeology that has been successfully run by The Division of
Adult Continuing Education, under David Crossley for several years.

I agree things are changing in the study of the period in Britain, a more
theoretical basis is to be applauded, unfortunately a danger exists in that
the emphasis could be allowed to swing too far the other way.
Archaeologists entering the field must be both able and willing to use both
theoretical constructs based on archaeological data and documentary material
in equal measure.

Documentary sources are a tool largely unavailable to archaeologists
studying other periods.  The historians main use of documents is to provide
narrative factual information. while this is also relevant to
archaeology,the same sources can also provide key elements of the
theoretical framework.  Documentary sources not only contain narrative
material, they also often provide strong indicators as to the way both
events and processes were viewed in the past.  They can offer an opportunity
to try and get inside the thought processes of the individuals concerned,
and provide evidence as to how they viewed and reacted with their environment.

The application of general archaeological theory to historical archaeology,
is a matter that still requires a considerable amount of thought.

Jeff Morris AMInstCES PIFA     Email [log in to unmask]
Wortley Top Forge Archaeological Survey
Wortley Top Forge Industrial Museum
Wortley Village
Wortley
Sheffield
S30 7DN

A Research Project of the South Yorkshire Industrial History
Society (formerly The Sheffield Trades Historical Society)
                 Registered Charity No. 506339