HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeff Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 22:46:34 +0100
As part of a masters at Sheffield University, I am currently undertaking a
documentary and standing building survey of the site of what was originally
a finery Forge but later became engaged in the production of wrought iron
railway axles.  The site is first known to have existed in the 1640`s and
continued to operate through to the very early part of this century.

I think I have managed to determine the part of the building fabric
associated with the earliest phase of activity and the basic chronological
sequence. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has also worked on
similar long standing sites and the problems encountered in interpretation.

The site formed a single working unit with another Forge and I am therefore,
seeking comparable sites that can be used to support the hypothesis that
references to the enlargement of the works would concern both forges, as
improvements at one would be meaninigless without corresponding changes at
the other. Both sites forming part of the same process rather than operating
independently.

Best wishes,

Jeff Morris AMInstCES PIFA     Email [log in to unmask]
Wortley Top Forge Archaeological Survey
Wortley Top Forge Industrial Museum
Wortley Village
Wortley
Sheffield
S30 7DN

A Research Project of the South Yorkshire Industrial History
Society (formerly The Sheffield Trades Historical Society)
                 Registered Charity No. 506339