From:
Dung Nguyen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 14:29:08 EST
>Varroa is the natural pathogen for a. cerana.  This type of bee is common
>through out Asia including Sri Lanka.  A beekeeper from Sri Lanka once
>explained to me how a. cerana has learn to tolerate the mites.
>
>As I understand it, Varroa is not a serious problem for these bees because
>they have learnt to tolerate them by grooming.

Hello everyone,
Varroa is also a big problem in Vietnam beekeeping too as A.mellifera has
been being kept . However, that mites are not the matter for A.cerana in
the country because of failure of those mites in eastern worker bees.

I did some exp. on the reproduction of the mite some years ago and found
that the mites cannot reproduce in A.cerana worker cells while they still
produce in the high rate in A.cerana drone cells and A.mellifera cells.
There is a note that the experimental mites were used from A.cerana
colonies themself , not from A.mellifera colonies. Therefore, during the
time that A.cerana colonies do not rear drone, A.cerana bees can escape
naturally from the mite disasters.
I hope I can communicate with you. Sorry for my very poor English.
Regards

Nguyen VanDung
email: [log in to unmask]