From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 09:03:36 -0700
> The alternative is to place it above a queen excluder, as low as
> possible, to ensure that it will be covered by bees during any cold snap.
> The virgin will mate and start to lay above the excluder, provided you
> supply a top entrance. On occasion we have had the new queen return to the
> bottom entrance, and take over. This is the reason for a back or side
> entrance for upper entrances.

I guess this another of those things that depend on how you do it
and when.  We have tried it several times and had *no* success. The
last time was an experiment in May over strong wintered doubles.

We used three frame splits over excluders on top of the doubles and
introduced ripe cells with protectors into the thirds.  All three
boxes had auger holes and had frame feeders with feed.  We knew
better, since all recommendations are to use a divider board, but
thought -- with luck -- we might get queens mated in the splits over
excluders and be able to take them away or double-queen the hives
without using the extra piece of equipment. We did not have great
hopes for the plan, but thought it worth a try.

We had *no* success at all, although other cells from the same batch
were fine in free standing nucs.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>