From:
Joe Hemmens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 1996 12:53:33 +0000
Last year I helped my mother in law make a cabinet which she uses for
warming honey and for melting wax (she is a very keen wax exhibitor).

We used -

1 old freezer
1 bulb socket
1 bulb 60w
1 small lighting dimmer switch
1 battery powered LED thermometer with probe
Foil

Apart from the freezer the other components cost about £20.  The only
disadvantage that we found with the cabinet was that it lost heat
very quickly when the lid was opened which is probably OK for warming
honey,  but for smallish amounts of wax this was a problem.  My father in
law solved this problem by replacing the lid of the freezer (chest
type) with a piece of timber in which he placed a lens of the sort
fitted to doors to enable someone inside a house to view somebody on
the other side.  This enabled my mother in law to see whether her wax
had melted without lifting the lid of the freezer.

A cardboard slip could be added to the dimmer to give some idea of
the temperature at different settings.

Seasonal Greetings

Joe Hemmens