Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Steve Diana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 16:35:52 -36000
I am trying to find information about the effects of the varroa mite on feral
honeybees and other related insects.  Specifically, I would like to find some
reports of solid research dealing with:

-The effects of mite infestation on feral honeybee populations and/or hive
strength.  I have one paper by Kraus and Page (1995) dealing with populations
in California.  I would like to find more.

-The effects of the mite on other nectar feeders.  I have read some messages
on this list that suggest that bumble bees and other insects have become more
plentiful in some areas after varroa has wiped out their competition from
feral honeybees.  Has anyone checked this out?  Also, how susceptible are
some of our native insects to the mite?

-The indirect effects of the mite on pollination wild and domesticated
plants.  Many have predicted that this would be a problem, but has it been
checked out?

Can anyone help me with this?  Thanks.

Stephen Diana
Urbana, IL