Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 18:15:25 -0500
In a message dated 97-03-24 10:54:59 EST, Paula Franke & Dan'l Sisson writes:

<< We're new to both beekeeping & BEE-L. Starting with three hives and
plannng
 to expand, we can use all the information we can get! (Especially since the
 usual assistance routes--local extension office & state beekeeper
 organization--have been aggravatingly silent. Our hives have made it
 through the winter in fine shape and the ladies have been out and about for
 a week or so now. >>

    Always glad to find new beekeepers, and wish you the best possible year.

    Now is a time, when your bees are real vulnerable, though  you might not
realize it.  They are raising a tremendous amount of brood, and are eating
much more than they were during the mid-winter.  Their activity may give the
impression that they are getting a lot of feed, but it is unlikely to be
enough, unless they have a good amount of reserves.

   If you haven't done it, lift the back of the hives to see if they have any
heft. If they feel real light, get some syrup to them ASAP.  If they are
solid, they'll likely be in good shape,  and your next real worry will be to
"midwife" the "calf" (swarm) that will inevitably ensue in a month or so, if
you do not take positive action to prevent it.

   I don't want to harp on one issue, I just find that this is one of the
most comon mistakes made by new beekeepers - not realizing that winter is not
over for the bees, until they get their first REAL flow.  It's sad to see big
beautiful clusters that were living day by day, killed or seriously weakened
by a few days of spring rain, when they couldn't get out, and they had no
reserves.

    If you look into the hives you need a minimum of two frames of CAPPED
honey per brood box, right though until the first serious flow.  Uncapped
nectar and honey doesn't count.

   May your flowers be full of nectar.  -And your bees able to get it.

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554        (Dave & Jan's Pollination Service,  Pot o'Gold Honey Co.)

Pollination for lay people, students, teachers
....Of bees, beekeepers, and food
http://users.aol.com/queenbjan/primbees.htm

Pollination for the pros - those involved in doing it:
Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light         Varietal Honeys and Gift Sets
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm