From:
James Morton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 14:22:04 -0500
> What has happened to common sense? We all know that foraging bees stray
into other colonies.
>We all know that drones are allowed "free" entrance to strange colonies!
>If we have a "breeding" situation as proposed with this setup, how can
>we keep mites from parasitizing foraging bees and drones which are not
>"trapped?"

 It isn't a" breeding situation". Any mite attempting to breed in the
colony goes has to go into a trap comb (because there is no other unsealed
brood in the colony). This is taken away after it is sealed. There is no
way that mites can succesfully breed while comb trapping is in use. Common
sense tells us that by removing the vast majority of the mites from the
colony through comb-trapping, fewer mites remain to parasitize foraging
bees and drones.

 >It is impossible to prevent spread of those mites under any
>circunstance. Beekeepers ought to be concerned with erradicating Varroa
>and should earnestly avoid any situation which might give "the little
>red devils" an edge!

Comb trapping does not set out to "prevent spread of those mites" but
instead aims to reduce the level of infestation, and with it, the rate of
spread , down to manageable proportions.  If sensibly practiced it can do
just that, as numerous European beekepers who have been managing varroa
infested colonies for the last decade or more will testify.

James Morton