From:
"Alyn W. Ashworth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:56:09 +0000
"Dr. Pedro Rodriguez"  writes, in reply to postings by myself and James
Morton regarding frame traps for varroa control
>In my experience, attempting to control mites in a fashion as explained
>above is not a control method, but in fact a propagation method since it
>gives the mites every opportunity to gain control of that colony where
>they are given a "free pass" to breed.
I feel impertinent to comment, as I have no experience, but it occurs to
me that without some treatment, the mites will breed anyway. So surely
any technique, such as this one, that encourages this inevitable
breeding to take place in a controlled area from which the resultant un-
released mites can later be removed, must be beneficial in itself.
Socrates would, I am sure, approve of the logic of this.

(.....later in the day, I now see several other much better replies than
I can manage, so I'll shut up and just listen!!!!!)
--
Alyn W. Ashworth
Lancashire & North-West Bee-Keepers' Association. UK.