From:
Dan Mihalyfi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 14:54:16 -0800

Dave Green wrote:
>     Last spring an employee was determined to get a swarm in a sapling, about
> 15 feet up.  He's an agile, vigorous, young Mexican, and I could have stopped
> him only by threatening to fire him.  So I held my breath as he climbed the
> sapling.

I have read, but never tried this technique...

Sling or throw a rope, use a weight on the end, around the branch the
swarm is clustered on. Remove the weight and tie a frame of brood on
that end. Then pull the other end of the rope to raise the brood frame
up to the clusted swarm. It must be raised so as to come in contact with
the swarm. The bees should move and cluster onto the the brood frame.
Then you can then lower them down.

Also, placing a brood frame in the hive body helps keep the swarm from
leaving. I have tried this once and the swarm stayed.

Dan Mihalyfi
Mihalyfi Apiaries
Watsonville CA
Central Coast of California