From:
Blaine S Nay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:39:14 EDT
On Sat, 2 Aug 1997 11:02:23 +0100 Computer Software Solutions Ltd
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I am a beginner. I need to re organise my apiary a bit. The ideal answer
is
>to move two of my hives forward of their present position by about 8
feet
>(240cm).

There are two ways to deal with the problem:

1.  Move the hive a significant distance (a couple of miles) for a couple
of weeks, then back to the new spot you want them.

2.  Move them a few inches at a time.

Anything else will confuse the bees.  They'll leave the hive to forage
and return to the old spot -- finding the hive gone!  Because they're
creatures of instinct and habit, they aren't smart enough to identify
their hive unless it's in relation to familiar surroundings such as a
tree or fence.  You'll wind up with a very angry swarm of bees 8 feet
from the hive!

However, the bees seem to adjust very well to completely new
surroundings.  This is why I prefer to use method 1.