HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Anna Agbe-Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 17:03:11 -0400
Regarding the question/comments below.

I would also check out things written by *Robert Blair St. George*.  I have
heard him lecture about--I believe they're spelled--"bawns" in Britain
and their relationship to early American architecture.  Sorry I can't
give a citation to a published piece.

I think part of Charlie Hodges's interest in this type of architecture
comes from his time at *Flowerdew Hundred*--can't hurt to check out Jim
Deetz's book.  I think Hodges has something in T. Reinhard and D. Pogue's
*The Archaeology of 17th Century Virginia* (or some similar title) on
fortified VA architecture.

good luck,

Anna

--