HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tom Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 14:22:58 -0400
(Please accept our apologies for cross postings)

Plans are now finalized for the September 19-21 American Cultural Resources
Association (ACRA) conference in St. Louis.  Please visit our website at
http://www.mindspring.com/~wheaton/ACRA.html to download a conference
program, registration form, and hotel info, and to check a link to what's
happening in St. Louis.

Everyone is invited to attend, although ACRA members do get a discount.
 There will be concurrent workshops and sessions., and we feel that many of
you will want to be in two places at the same time.  Given that that is
impossible (or was the last time I checked), please consider bringing someone
with you to attend the concurrent workshop or session.  While you are
learning about TCPs from Tom King, someone else on you staff can be picking
up tips on hiring people without getting in trouble with the DoL or on how to
get inexpensive professional liability (Errors and Ommissions) insurance.

Yes, we have a plan to get inexpensive E&O coverage for small firms whose
clients require it.  Some members have been able to convince their clients to
waive this requirement, but having such a policy puts you at a competitive
advantage over those who do not (plus it protects you from stupid mistakes).
 There will be more on this in the next couple of newsletters and at the
conference.

One of our sessions will include only SHPO staff.  While it will be
interesting to see how they perceive cultural resources consulting and how to
improve it, it will also be interesting to see the panel interact and to see
how they differ in their views of CRM and its future.  Two of "ACRA-L's own",
Lynne Sebastian and Lee Tippett, will be on the panel.  If you have enjoyed
them online (or Tom King and Joel Klein for that matter), plan to come and
see them "live" and "in person".  (We will not have any black lights, and
autographs are strictly prohibited, at least during sessions.)  ;-) ;-) < <
 (for those of you new to the net, that translates to wink-wink-nudge-nudge.
i.e. I'm kidding.)

There will be a reception Friday evening and a trip to the Cahokia Mounds
late Saturday afternoon arranged by Markman & Associates, who are also in
charge of the local arrangements.  Duane Peter of Geomarine is the conference
chair and has prepared quite a program for us.  Please plan to attend, and
bring a friend.

Tom Wheaton
Exec Dir - ACRA