HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Judy Bense <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:12:17 -0600
Pamela:  We convinced our university, the University of West Florida in
Pensacola, FL, to have a Phase I survey of the 1000 acre wooded campus about
6-7 years ago.  John Phillips in our Archaeology Institute was the Project
Director and we paid a few experienced students as crew chiefs, but most of
the field work was done by undergraduate students in our classroom classes
earning extra credit towards their grade.  It really was a typical CRM type
of survey and we made a sensitivity map which our planners use all the time.
We produced a report, authored by Phillips, which we would be happy to send
you.  We are a small university (about 7000 students) with a lot of land and
and a big archaeology program, and we have been building a lot in the last 5
years.  We foud prehistoric and historic sites.  Historic sites included a
brick kiln, old railroad bed, fishing camp, large Victorian homesite, etc...

We have a state law that requires 106-type of compliance on state land prior
to construction, but it is rarely enforced except on occasion.  However, my
administrators did not know that and I worried them about skulls rolling out
of the backfill piles during construction.  They bought it and paid $17,000
I think for the survey, and we make sure the planner and head of physical
plant go by the book (within reason).

I think the University of South Florida campus in Tampa has also had a
survey.  Contact Brent Weisman or Nancy White in the Department there.

Hope this helps.