HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Thomas Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 23:02:54 -0700
>Terry,
>
>I am assembling a bibliography on:
>
>1. military sites in West
>2. historical studies of use to archaeologists on those sites
>3. material culture works re: military.
>
>I have 1500+ references but would like anything which would help someone
>excavating a Western military site.
>

>Bill

 I have completed a CRM report of the historic military vegetational
landscape of Angel Island in San Francisco Bay California.  Angel Island was
established as Camp Reynolds in 1862 in response to activities associated
with the Civil War.
It followed as a depot for recruits as well as a quarantine station and an
Immigration station up to 1946. This report describes the history of
vegetative change carried out by the military over their period of occupancy.
Unfortunately I do not have the title with me but if you are interested and
email me I will send a copy along. I would also suggest looking at a copy of
the National Register District Nomination for the Presidio in San Francisco,
California for interesting data regarding development of a military fort
from the Mexican period through the cold war era.

Tom Wheeler