HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Staeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 07:56:33 -0500
While I', not specifically a battlefield arch., I do have an interest in
terms of historic archaeology.  You might look at a relatively new book
entitled "Look to the Earth: Historical Archaeology and the American Civil
War" edited by Clarence Geier jr and Susan Winter, 1994, University of
Tennessee Press.

also, some refs I haven't checked but might be worthwhile,
Craley, Chad., 1987,  "The Battle of Gilgal Church: An Archaeological and
Historical Study of mid-Nineteenth Century Warfare in Georgia"  Southeastern
Archaeological Services, Inc., Athens, Georgia.

Coates, Earl and Dean Thomas, 1990, "An Introduction to Civil War Small
Arms" Thomas Publications, Gettysburg, Peensylvania.

Brooks, Stewart, 1966,  "Civil War Medicine"  C.C. Thomas, Springfield,
Illinois.

Lewis, Berkely,  1960  "Small Arms and Ammunitions in the United States
Service, 1776-1865"  Smithsonian Miscellaneous Collections vol 129,
Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.

Thomas, Dean, 1981  "Ready - Aim - Fire! Small Arms Ammunition in the Battle
of Gettysburg"  Osborn Printing Company, Biglerville, Pennsylvania.

Hope these are on the right line, sorry some of these are so obscure.

Happy hunting - john

John Staeck                      "My career is in the pits"
Anthropology Program
Luther College
Decorah, IA 52101
319-387-1284