HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Neville Ritchie/Alexy Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 22:17:12 +1300
Ronald

Thanks for the info- and the most emotive description of the stench & smoky
scene which must have acompanied ore roasting.

The process as described at Hill's smelting works obviously produces a
similar result, but does not appear to be undertaken in an in-ground kiln
like the ones I am dealing with here.  On the contrary, its more like
charcoal burning where earth is heaped over the a pile of ore and timber
which is then fired.  I have received other reports of this type of ore
roasting in the western states of the U.S. but thus far no in-ground kilns.
However, there are a number of them in Australia, particularly in the state
of Victoria.  There many date from the 1840s-50s, which is 40 years or so
earlier than my ones.

I haven't collated the responses I have had so far (but the above is more or
less a summary) but hope to do so shortly.  The paper will be published in
the 1998 volume of the Australasian Society for Historical Archaeology Journal.

Again thanks for your interest and the info. The email is a very efficient
way of getting an international perspective on things.

Regards

Neville Ritchie