HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Detlef Gronenborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 13:11:06 +0100
I have been following the discussion on slavery quietly during the past
week. The subject has brought me be to a general question. Working primarily
in West-Africa, I came into contact with internal African slavery, mainly
connected with the Central Sudanic empires of Bornu an Baghirmi, and a
little with the Haussa-States. Going through last centuries travellers
reports, I found here and there information on the fact, that in rare
cases deceased slaves were dumped outside the villages or
towns.
For instance, cases have been reported by Barth for Kukawa, the capital of
Bornu. I have
been following such practices in archaeological as well as historical
contexts. My question subsequently would be - are there such cases
reported (and possibly published) for the US or the Carribbean ?

I am quite aware that all this is a sensible subject, both in the Old as
in the New World, it is only that I want to gather some historical facts.

Pls note that I will not be able to answer, nor embark on a discussion
before next weekend.

Detlef Gronenborn

Research Fellow / Lecturer

Seminar fuer Vor- und Fruehgeschichte