HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Laura Galke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 09:13:06 EDT
I just subscribed to the list this morning.  My name is Laura Galke
and I am the staff archaeologist for Archaeology in Annapolis, a
cooperative agreement between the University of Maryland, College
Park and Historic Annapolis Foundation.  Mark Leone is the principle
investigator of this project, which has been doing archaeology in the
historic district of Annapolis since 1981.

This week, the city of Annapolis passed an ordinance which will
protect archaeological resources all over the city.  I've started an
interviewing process with other urban archaeology programs, to find
out how they determine significance, what their ordinances (where
applicable) apply to, how they are organized, and what kind of budget
they have.  I have gathered some good information, some of which you
may be able to use (I subscribed too late for your original email
message) from places such as Alexandria Virginia, Baltimore Maryland,
and Pensacola Florida.  I'm continuing my "interviews" throughout the
week.

If you'd like to share some information/phone numbers/contacts, don't
hesitate to call/write/email.  My phone number at the University of
Maryland (where I reside Wednesday afternoons through Friday
afternoons) is 301-405-1429, mail:Anthropology Department, 1111 Woods
Hall, University of Maryland, College Park Maryland  20742.  My phone
number at the archaeology laboratory in Annapolis (where I work
Mondays through Wednesday mornings) is 410-268-7770, mail:  18
Pinkney Street, Annapolis, Maryland  21401.