From:
George_Willy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:04:35 +0500
>Does anyone know the status of the approval process for making formic acid
>a legal treatment in the US?  What is the holdup?  Is there a name and address
>of someone you could write to to voice your support and/or complain about the
>slow movement of the approval process?
>
>Also, is it possible to purchase small quantities of formic acid for
>experimental use (treatment before or after the honey flow)?
>
>And what about NEEM oil?  A friend of mine asked if anyone has tried it.  Are
>there any known problems with its use in the hive from an experimental
>standpoint?  Yes, it's not an approved substance in the US, but are there any
>known detrimental effects?  Providing that there is a possibility of safety,
>is there a source for purchasing small quantities?
>
>Mike Swintosky
>Carroll County Beekeepers
 Mike
        From what I know formic acid is extreemly caustic and in applying
it via the wick process can be dangerous to both you and the bees.
Breathing apparatus, gloves, temperature monitoring etc.  A new sponge
saturated method is being tested.  FDA approval. We are all waiting.  I'm
not ready to try anything that would jeaprodize the bees and welcome
scrutiny.
        George

George & Lorraine Willy
The Village Inn of East Burke