From:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 00:29:22 GMT
Eric,
I think there is some confusion over the word "trapping".  In one system, as
I understand it, The Q. is trapped on a frame for a short time and hence
Varroa females migrate into those cells containing live brood which are on
one frame only.  This is then removed for destruction and the Q. liberated.

The other method to which I was referring, and the one I have tried is to
"trap" varroa mites by using their preference for drone brood.  A frame of
drone foundation, or a shallow frame under which the bees will build their
own drone cells, is placed in the brood chamber early in the year.  Varroa,
in theory, will migrate to the drone cells.  These MUST be removed as soon
as capped.  If they are allowed to hatch....!!  Well it's obvious that you
cannot afford to be careless!

If I'm mistaken in either of these systems I am hopeful someone will put me
right.  Best wishes.

Glyn Davies, Ashburton Devon UK.

PS  Since writing this and before sending it I see that Dave Black has
provided a detailed explanation of the two systems.  Many thanks Dave.