From:
Tim Sterrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 19:12:53 GMT
      Re:  I've been toying with an idea for emergency cold weather feeding
and would appreciate comments.
Jim Moore,
       Rather than build a cold-frame, solar heater to warm the sugar syrup,
 _emergency_  feeding can be done with dry sugar poured onto the inner cover
around the hole in the center of the inner cover.
        If the feeding is less of an emergency, sugar cakes (bee candy) can
be laid on top of the frames.  If the bees need the food, the cluster will
flow up  over the sugar cake and consume it.
         I would be wary of heating any part of a hive in winter time.
Tim
Tim Sterrett
Westtown, (Southeastern) Pennsylvania, USA