From:
"Brian G. Merrill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 21:33:11 -0500

>Has anyone any experience using bee venom therapy for Lou Gehrig's disease?
>Am I correct in thinking ALS is the same disease? As a muscular
>degeneration condition, I would expect it to have similarities to MS, but
>would be interested in comments on the more specific use for Lou Gehrig's -
>i.e. what stage was the treatment used,  what points to use the venom on,
>duration of treatments, effectiveness etc.
>

>Regards, Fran Kay

Fran and others,

You are correct that ALS is the same as Lou Gehrig's disease.  My father
died of this a few years ago, three years after diagnosis.  While we never
tried treating the ALS with bee venom therapy, we did treat each other for
bouts of arthritis, tendonitis, etc. And considering together we ran over
200 colonies for a lot of years just prior to his illness, I don't think any
more bee stings would have made any difference.

ALS is not directly a muscle degenerative disease...it is a nerve
degenerative;  the muscles deteriorate as a result and, I think,  is more
from atrophy. Medical research classes ALS within the MD (Muscular
Dystrophy) group rather than MS, even though ALS sounds closer to
MS...Amniotropic Lateral Sclerosis.

Good luck to your friend, as far as I know, the doctor's and scientists
don't even know what causes ALS, and as a result there is no cure for it.
There seems to be a lot of variations depending on where the nerve
degeneration starts, etc...This may be getting too long for this list so if
you or anyone else is interested further, contact me directly.

Brian G. Merrill         [log in to unmask]
Ellie Bee Apiaries
61 Calumet St.
Depew, NY  14043
USA