From:
Joe Hemmens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 11:05:25 +0000
Just in case anyone wishes to use the Listserv search facilities...

I posted a message recently about Listserv searches.  Unfortunately,
due to the lack of a rigorous beta test program,  I made a mistake in
the following example - searching by subject.

//SEARCH JOB ECHO=NO
DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES
//Rules DD   *
SEARCH * IN BEE-L -
 WHERE SUBJECT CONTAINS (CASH FOR QUESTIONS) -
 SINCE 01-OCT-91
PRINT

The fifth line when - as in the example - using more than ONE word in
the search will produce an error message.

If ONE word is used in the search,  the search will work but this may
not return the correct targets.  For example,  a search as above
using the word CASH would return messages with words in the subject
titles such as CASHIER or CASH PAYMENTS.

The solution is to use single quote marks instead of the parentheses,
 so that the fifth line in the above example should read -

WHERE SUBJECT CONTAINS 'CASH FOR QUESTIONS' -

This will only return messages with that text in the subject header.

If anyone would like an amended posting about Listserv searches,  let
me know and I will forward a copy.

Best wishes

Joe